The parents who volunteer their services to fulfil this vital function, with such selfless dedication, have the appreciation of the entire Kirstenhof community.
The responsibilities of the Governing Body are summarised by the Western Cape Education Department as follows:
The governing body must:
Decide on an admissions policy for the school;
Decide on the language policy of the school;
Decide on what religious practices will be followed at the school;
Adopt a code of conduct for learners which sets out disciplinary procedures.
All these decisions and policies must be in line with national policies.
The SGB must also:
- Adopt a constitution setting out how the SGB will operate;
- Adopt a school mission statement setting out the values and beliefs of the school;
- Decide the times of the school day;
- Administer the school’s property, buildings and grounds;
- Make recommendations regarding the appointment of educators at the school.
In addition, the Governing Body can be given any of these additional functions:
maintaining and improving the school’s property, buildings and grounds;
deciding on the extramural curriculum and the choice of subject options according to provincial curriculum policy;
buying textbooks, educational material and/or equipment for the school;
paying for services to the school.