Like nearly all other Capetonians, as a school KPS too has become more sensitive about how much water we consume as we service the daily needs of about 1000 people. With this in mind the school has developed a water scarcity plan.
There are two elements to the plan: Firstly we are committed to making children more aware of water scarcity, we are using the opportunity of the present drought conditions as a school to drive the importance of being frugal with water and what water means to us. Please support this campaign with follow up discussions at home. We, along with our children need to find it difficult to ever be wasteful with water again.
The other part of the plan deals with both ongoing and future plans for water saving and what contingency plans are in place for a future possible ‘Day Zero”.
The following information is important for our parent community to know:
- We are installing a smart meter to better understand our use of water.
- The number of taps in all bathrooms have been reduced and hand sanitiser is in all bathrooms and classrooms as an alternative to hand washing.
- Children are encouraged to bring water bottles to school for their own consumption. This prevents spillage which occurs when drinking from a tap.
- Our bathrooms are plumbed to use treated groundwater in the toilet system. This will be particularly important if there comes that time when there is no municipal water.
- We are committed to reduce our use of ground water consumed on the school grounds.
Thank you for your support in this matter.